Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Getting out of the storm




Thunderstorms... Hm, no. THUNDERRRSTORRMS!

My trip to Novosibirsk has lasted more than 10 days already. I've made several flights from UNNT, our second base, and all the flights happenned under pretty nice weather conditions. If there were any thunderstorms, they actually were flashing somewhere out of my routes. If I could always fly in such a "sand box", maybe I can save some nerves for my future grandchildren.

But.. Weather is the weather. It is a woman, and her mood is subject to change. I know.


--==(о)==--

I've got troubles with getting a good rest before upcoming flight to Magadan.

Sky Expo Hotel is a very nice place to live in means of its distance from everything - the airport and the city and the else - and most of the time it is a rather peacefull and quite place. But not the time, when dozens of guys plan to arrive here tomorrow, to enjoy getting fun from killing tires and engines of their four-wheel monsters.

Today they are training, rising adrenaline that they lack in their routine lives.

I am living in the hotel as a veteran. The restourant administrator has already studied my tastes and nowdays, after greeting me, he gives me a piece of advice - which meals option to choose and what sort of tea to drink after I'd returned from the spa. I'm living at the resort!

If I could only get some nap before the night flight!..

--==(о)==--

It should be an interesting flight. I've never been to Magadan before, and, to be honest, I was not almost sure that I could find its location on the map. 

I was also impressed by the planned trip time - more than 5 hours. Usually, if a pilot performs such a long flight, he than goes to a hotel to get some rest before flying back. But if a frequency of a flight is rare, one or twice per week, it is not efficient to ground crews for 3,4 or even 7 days.

It is our case. Thats why we will fly in an arguemented crew, which consists of two Captains and two First Officers. 

One crew will fly to Magadan while other two pilots get rest in the business-class. And then they will change roles. Everything is according to the rulles of Order 139 of The Minestry of Transportation. No chance to arque!

At this moment in is not clear who will be the Captain on the leg to Magadan. I will see it only after printing the Journey Log.

Moreover, the flight departs at 01.30 a.m., that is very late... or very early? Thus, we will arrive at Magadan somewhere around 7 o'clock (UNNT time). The body biological clock will start forcing me to close eyes at four, or five. So, may be I'll try to get a "controlled rest" in accordance with a new FOM procedure. Heh, even if this procedure is not present in the FOM, one will also prefer to nap for 10-20 minutes during the cruise to prevent sleeping during the approach time.


The Sun... Another moment to be taken into account. We will fly towards the rising Sun. As V.Zaharov, a well-know Russian aviation-singer, a former airline pilot, singed - it is not the same as flying to the sunset. From another hand, night flights are easier if are flown during sunlight time - it helps to dupe the body and you do not want to sleep so much.

...I got a 30 minutes nap only. But, as it appeared later - it was more than enough.

--==(о)==--

After the streetracers had finished to burn tires, the sky got obsured by black clouds. Started to rumble, and then began raining. Oh, that was a rain! A shower! My brother, whose friends had to fly to Chita this night one hour earlier than me, sent an sms, asking where the flight could happen in such a weather?

Anyway! That was my answer.

Thus, a new problem arised - how to get to the airport? I hadn't got an umbrella, yes, it was unwise to leave it in Moscow, now I know it. The shuttle bus will bring me to the entrance of the security zone and then it takes 5 minutes to get to the briefing room. The only consolation that I was able to find was that if it would be windy, the umbrella was useless.

But the Luck played on my side that eveining.

--==(о)==--

We arrived at the airport just after the rain had stopped. So, we stayed dry. I got a hope, that maybe the show was over and all the thunderstorms were gone?

However, lightnings in the south told me, they were not. God knows, maybe they will not disturb us in a couple of hours... or, maybe they will. 

It was a great shower today. Water is everywhere.

--==(о)==--


After getting the Journey Log it appeared that I was lucky to fly to Magadan with a First Officer from OVB (Novosibirsk Tolmachevo) base. And vice a versa, an OVB Captain will bring the bird back together with another guy from DME (Moscow Domodedovo)

It looks amazing. I had made several flights with Boris, the DME FO. He is already well-known to me. And Nick, the OVB FO, is not, we had flown together only once. As I remember, his performance was not bad, maybe he was a little bit nervous, flying with me, a "strict TRE", but I had already got used to such a behaviour.

Nick arrived earlier than others. I'm glad to see, that he is already analyzing the documentation. It took several years to teach Captains to encourage FOs to help them prepare for upcoming work. To act as a good recource of making a desicion. I do not know the reasons why the usual way here was to make the decision without asking the FO to suggest ideas. Rare Captain asked his FO to analyze the weather, DIOLs, NOTAMs etc and to express his thoughts about the flight. And usually, FOs got known who will be the flying pilot on this leg only at the flight deck, when they had to switch the flight directors, asking which one to move ON first.

A lot of things had changed since that times. I think, that nowadays, most of the Captains will listen to their FOs. At least, I want to believe in it.

--==(о)==--

I'm analyzing the CFP (computerized flight plan) and it seems not good to me. Our flight is going to be an ETOPS one, but the requied entry and exit points are missing, though their usual 'neighbors', CPs (critical points) are present. Suprising!

Luckilly, dispatchers' room is very close to pilots' one in OVB. We asked them and they became very surprised, too. But in 10 minutes they printed another CFP, and it was OK. So, we started discussing the fuel and it was an easy decision. Most of the Company flights from OVB base are fuelled to the maximum of 20250 kgs, which is considered to be well enough for all cases. This is known as a 'tankering' - we take maximum available cheap fuel here to lessent the amount to buy on the return flight. Usual practice.


--==(о)==--

Moving out of the building. No rain, but the puddles remind that the evening was not very sunny. The sky is sometimes flashing. I count the time between lightnings and thunders - seems, that the distance is remarkable. Maybe the weather will not harm us today?

Out green bird waits us at the gate - this fact is good, because in case of a rain our dear passengers will be protected during boarding.

I left my bag in the cockpit, took the flashlight and went out to inspect the exterior.

- Hello, brother! - I greet the green belly, - Nice to see you!

And that's the time when the real work begins.

--==(о)==--

- I wish we can switch on the radar.

We are sitting in the cockpit, looking at the terminal. Here, in OVB, we don't have a possibility to look at the weather picture during preflight - Tolmachevo is not fitted with the ground weather radar.

I surfed the Internet and found a site, which offered a picture of showers worldwide. Opened it and then closed - according to the site, rains were everywhery around us, stretched from the south to the north. Little help.

Our on-board iPADs have Jepp FD Pro installed. This soft allows to download information about weather, highlited on the map - turbulence, winds and thunderstorm cells. After some manipulations I got a picture of turbulence - it appeared to spread exactly from Novosibirsk to Tomsk, where our route lied. Unfortunately, I failed to download the picture of cells.

I closely monitored the sky while inspected the airplane. Everything told me that main cells were located over the city - to the west of the airfield. Lots of lightnings flashed over there! But the northen direction seemed to be more or less clear, it looked encouraging, but everything could change during preparing for the flight. The winds are light, but blow from the city, so, the thunderstorm will arrive somewhere in a while.

The only question is - what will happen first? Our departure, or its arrival?

If only the nose of our bird was aimed to the city, we could switch on the radar and scan the sky. But, no chance. The only thing that I know exactly - we will have to avoid cells today, and, it seems, that there is the space for avoiding. But we have the small deal - to takeoff first.

And it is not the job that I'm happy to do daily - to takeoff into the thunderstorm.

--==(о)==--


Our bird is being pushed back for a start up. Its nose still looks at the terminal, so, the radar is useless - we will depart in opposite direction. Maybe, in the future, airplanes will have weather radars installed in the tail, but today they are not. I wish they are - such design would be very helpfull at the moment.

Seating in the left seat I can clearly see the lighning. This is the direction, in which we are planning to depart.

I want to get out as soon as possible.

--==(о)==--

We taxied into the runway from TWY B, which is located somewhere in its middle. While we were moving, we scanned the skies and got good news. As we had expected, everything from the North-North-West to the West was coloured in red, but the North and the East looked to be more or less clear. After a short discussion we agreed that there would be a space for manuevering.

Taxiing backtrack the runway. We will depart with the course of 072, from RWY 07. The thunderstorm now is behind us and it makes me feel uncomfortable, forcing to expedite taxi to the end where we will turn 180° and have a chance to scan the monster by the radar beams.

It starts to rain... Drops are rare but this are the scouts, which go ahead of the main army. If it arrives too early, we will be unable to depart. Yes, we are Russian pilots, but we are not crazy to takeoff under the thunderstorm. Even without the radar I know that the troops are close, but what will happen first - our departure or their attack?

- Nick, switch on the wipers to 'intermittent', please.


The rain is still not heavy, but drops reduce the visibility. Nick switched on the wipers to the lowest level, in which they make one pass in 7 seconds. It is OK for now, but the 'High' level may be required for the takeoff.

Finally, we reached the end of the runway. I am lowering the speed and turning 180° towards the departing course. The rain has intensified, but now we see the picture and it tells us that if we do not depart right now, we will be grounded for a long time, the Army is very close and soon will be here.

- Nick, after airborne... at 400 feet we will turn left on... 340°. How it looks for you?

- Looks good, Denis.

- Tell it to the ATC, please.

ATC expects us to follow the departure clearance, but it will bring us too close to the cells. We have the time to inform them that our plans has changed.

Ok, now the ATC knows them. Wipers in 'HIGH', smashing hard. While the bird is stopped, they work efficiently, but I expect things will change - as the speed increases, I will get problems of looking ahead because of too much water on the windshield.

The takeoff is now cleared.

Great picture ahead!.. If one looks out, s/he will see a breathtaking view of the flashing sky, but I would prefer to enjoy it somewhere out of the aiprlane that is going to depart into that beauty.

Lets get out of here!

Releasing the brakes, moving throttles forward. Engines start roaring and the bird softly pushes my back. This is your move, Captain!

- CHECK ENGINES STABILIZED!

N1 stabilized at 40%. The airplane starts obtaining speed slowly. The rain seems to become more heavy - maybe it has intensified or maybe we have accelerated and now are catching more drops.

- ENGINES STABILIZED

- CHECK THRUST!


- CHECK ENGINES STABILIZED!

Pressed TO/GA, the autothrottle tooks the engines and smoothly sets the full takeoff power.

Acceleration becomes more sensitive, but still is rather smooth. We are not flying from Moscow to S-Petersburg that is only 45 minutes to fly. We have full tanks and 150 passengers and expect 5.05 hours of flying to Magadan. We are a little bit heavy today.

- THRUST SET!

The show is going on.

- 80 KNOTS!

- CHECKED!


The bird is moving faster and faster, the wipers are working but give a low outcome, allowing the water to blur the runway lights. The world is coloured in black, but for short seconds is getting paitned with read and blue by a terrible Storm Painter.

The Thunderstorm arrives at Tolmachevo airport.

...Recalling the actions in case of being lucky to get into a windshear after airborne.

I wish I could have the runway centerline lights now, because the strips of white paint are not visible in such conditions. It is not a simple task to mantain takeoff direction and I force myself to look farther than usual - coverging lines of the edge lights somehow assist to control the trends of my bird.


- V1!

Removing the hand from the throttles. No way of stopping now. Move on, move on!

Continue getting the required speed. We are already running very fast but still below the rotation speed. Everything ahead is almost blurred, the airplane is jumping on the runway bumps. I've got the thought: 'It could be a great video, if anyone records it'

...the takeoff run looks everlasting


- ROTATE!

Pulling back the yoke, nose is rising up and one more flash sparks ahead. It is almost impossible to define a distance to the lighting in the darkness and seems that it fires very near. Maybe it is the most beautiful show, which only could be viewed overnight.

'Its a pity, but I'm going out of the theatre', - I transfer my attention to the gauges.

- POSITIVE RATE!

- GEAR UP!


After the gear retraction the bird begins to climb better. The Monster is trying to catch us but we have reached 400 feet and now start turning left out of here, continuing to increase the speed whith the intension to clean up the wings as soon as possible.

According to the radar, the new direction is more or less clear. It means that there are no red cells but greens and yellows present. The way is OK and we are entering the clouds and continue climbing. Increased range shows that we will leave the weather to the right and, as we get the altitude, new options will appear.

The flaps are up, mr. Autopilot takes the bird. Now it is the Nick's time to enjoy the pictures - all the weather is right of track.

- I wish our passengers have enjoyed the show,
- I'm trying to joke.

Now, when we are airborne, safe and clear of the weather, it is the time to look at the sightseens. Enjoy flying with us!

We managed to be the first. The storm stayed the be the second.

I didn't feel drowsiness untill the mid of the return flight.

--==(о)==--



Magadan is a very distant place.

We reached the cruising level, I made a small encouragable announcement for the cabin. Natasha, our Purser, came into the cockpit. A pretty girl, with a face of a greak statue.

- How are our dear passengers there?

- Ok. Getting dinner or napping.


- Was the takeoff scaring?

- I can't say so. Not so much. It was bumpy, but it's a usual deal.

Sounds good.

- Ok, I would like to have a dinner. Black tea with milk and no sugar, please.

I was unfair to the car fans. A good hobby to get adrenaline for those, who don't have a chance to takeoff in stormy nights.

I cannot find any signs of drowsiness in my head.


--==(о)==--


- By the way, it would be better if we had asked runway 25 for departure, Nick.

I'm quite relaxed, drinking a cup of hot tea.

- The tailwind was negligable, Nick. Runway 07 should make more comfort for takeoff.

Its true. We had a chance to ask for a runway change, but we believed that the storm is rather faraway. In fact it took us a long time to taxi to the end of the runway. Smells like a piece of adventurism. Yes, we were lucky today but if we had delayed our departure for several minutes more, we could definetely stay grounded for half an hour, or more. Who knows?

It was a risky decision, lets remember it for the future.

- Anyway, it was not so boring as usual, Nick? 

- For sure.

--==(о)==--



Enjoying the sunrise.



The signs of the past power. It was a stormy cloud only several hours ago, and now, it is a very old man.





The Wilderness begins






One more hour of flying and we will arrive to destination. I wonder, how many people are living in this mountainous eastern part of my country, if any?





Very close to the edge of the world continent. The seashore is well visible because of the morning fog over it.



We recieved the weather information and it is promissable! We expect a straight-in approach, which seems be easy, the final turn point is rather far from the runway, and then, the only thing we have to do is to descent and land the bird.

Visibility is brilliant, 'million by million'. I disconnect the automation and now the bird is fully in my hands.

--==(о)==--

Descending between the hills that appeared to be left and right of the final course. The road is getting bumpy, it is normal for flying over such terrain. Some pilots, including me, believe that it is even better to fly in some turbulence than in calm and 'milky' air - you do not relax too much in the first case.

I have the runway in sight and now I see that it is not very smooth - the surface rises a bit in its first third.

Crossed the threshold. I started the flare by moving back the throttles and mantaining descent rate by slightly pulling back the yoke

Wow! The bird flies up, as somebody has taken its wings and rised it over gthe round! Maybe we caught the gust, which slightly increased the lift, or maybe I made a sucker's mistake of overrotating, lets think about it later. I have to correct it now!

Fixed the airplane, prevented further going higher, but I still feel the undesirable lift on the wings, tempting me to push the yoke. But I'm not doing it as I see the rising surface ahead.

Ok, seems the bird wants to descend now as the lift has gone. I allowed her to do it and then slightly pulled back.

Landed on the last strip. Heh, Captain :)

Hello, Magadan!

--==(о)==--


The apron



The red one is Antonov-26, a multiporpose airplane. The model has been produced in 70s and dozens of planes are still working. Initially, it was designed as a military transporter, but was used in civil aviation also. Some airplance has been fitted with a passenger cabin.



An-28.



:)




--==(о)==--

My work is finished for today. I will fly back as a passenger in the business class and have a possibility to shoot some pictures.



Taxiing onto the runway.





Airborne. Hm, views are very nice here!





Nice!



I got a nap for an hour and then the aiplane arrived at Novosibirsk.



Our flight is over, thanks for flying with us!

--==(о)==--

Tomorrow lots of drivers, who enjoy getting adrenaline by burning tires and engines, gathered near Sky Expo to fight for a glory of being the best tire-burner.







Thank you for your attention!

All the best!




FLY SAFE!


2 comments: